Thread: Do your own ECU reflash!

Do your own ECU reflash!

I'm just reading about this. Very cool!

A new SAE(J2534) standard starting with all '04 models with reprogrammable ECU's allows virtually anyone with the right equipment to reflash ECU's with the most current data.

Specifically, for Fords, go to www.motorcraft.com, click on Technical Resources, then Browse Subscriptions, then Ford Module Reprogramming. For $25, you get a 24 hour subscription.

Equipment needed is a newer(faster) PC, at least Windows 98 or above, a high speed internet connection, and an SAE pass-thru device(J2534). That is the pricey piece of the puzzle right now, ~$1000, but they promise cheaper versions by next year. The pass-thru device is basically a decoder that allows the PC to communicate with the ECU's, and their multitude of programming languages.(this pass-thru is designed to work with any brand vehicle). It's all done through the OBDII port.

I'm sure more info about this will start circulating soon. I got all this from the latest Service Tech Magazine. This is great news for us DIY'ers and independent repair/hp shops!
    ~Dave
    SVTF #1748, The World's Quietest!

how does this assist us current SVTF owners?

Even though the standard will be finished in '04, the actual reflash can be done to any OBDII vehicle, and other vehicles that had reprogrammable ECU's before OBDII. Part of the standard is making the data available from the OEM's.
    ~Dave

oh, well that's cool. As long as they get those interface cables down.

SVTOA Registered Member wayyy2fassst's Avatar
    hmmmmmmmmmmmm......

the thought of downloading MP3's and games to my car.

SVTOA Registered Member BLKSVT03's Avatar
    Wayyy: I strongly suggest not to download Pac-Man or tetris to your ECU, it will probably cause an accident. *just Kidding*

SVTOA Registered Member jstevens1's Avatar
    While this MIGHT be cool for someone (unlike me) who's used to nit-picking computer calibration maps, it couldbe dangerous inthe wrong hands. I'm wondering if base and restoration maps will be available, and if there'll be any guidance on suitable ranges of adjustment, etc.? How soon is this system to come online?
    2K2 Focus SVT, Sonic Blue/Blue int., AEM CAI (added 07FEB04), #2726 of 4788

16.1 @ 89, looking to improve driver...

(Formerly) Y2K ZX3, Eibach struts/springs/bars, FocusSport STB's/pulley/intake/exhaust/header, DiabloSport ECU, FR plug wires, Bosch Platinum +2 plugs, EBC front pads/front rotors, Kumho tires...

SVTOA Registered Member imajsdaddy's Avatar
    I can't actually believe they would allow us to change setting! I mean my low emissions vehicle would be dumping fuel out the back if it pushed more HP & torque!

I'd think they would find a way to make Factory made programming only work!
    #1483 02 SVTF DEAD!

2002 ZX3 SOLD...

Got a 1977 VW Camper Bus now... and a 05 Town and Country... yeah 2 Foci to 2 vans...

ADMIN: www.provoscooter.com/vbull

You can't change any settings. This is for OEM program downloads only. (for example, you could reflash YRF0 on your SVTF if you haven't had it done yet)

It's up and running right now, all you need is the pass-thru device, which is expensive due to it's newness. Next year, they promise cheaper versions as it becomes more mainstream.

This is not a "tuning" device, but rather a way for independant shops and DIY'ers to be able to reflash the latest data to ECU's.
    ~Dave

SVTOA Registered Member imajsdaddy's Avatar
    I bet there would then be the issues of "non-warrenty" repairs and stuff... Bet my dealer would play the voided card!

Who knows... Anyway I figured what you said above was how it would be.... Then again with all the computer smart people who play with cars now days... Someone would figure out a way around this! Probably when the voided warrenty issue would start to happen!
    #1483 02 SVTF DEAD!

2002 ZX3 SOLD...

Got a 1977 VW Camper Bus now... and a 05 Town and Country... yeah 2 Foci to 2 vans...

ADMIN: www.provoscooter.com/vbull

you want to be very careful with this. You could quite conceivably destroy the engine with some wrong code....

This is not totally new info. We {Independant Repair Shops} have been using this and other programs similar to it for the last 2 years. Its not something a DIY'er will do either unless they have the scanner with reflash capabilities. Very expensive!! Basically the new program is downloaded, then transferred to the vehicle ECM. As a footnote I've heard my fellow SVT folks talk about disconnecting the battery so the ECM can relearn. Thats not exactly how things work with our little SVT's. Disconnecting the battery basically places all the learned parameters back to factory default. The ECM can actually learn and adjust certain things as the car gets miles on it. Things like timing, electronic spark control, automatic shift patterns, long and short term fuel trim, etc. If you have a intermittant glitch in a sensor then disconnecting the batt may be temporarily beneficial. However, once the batt is disconnected than all pending codes and any freeze frame info {OBD11 vehicles} will be lost. This info can be vital to a tech trying to find a problem with the car. Just my two cents.