Thread: Densecharger Installation

SVTOA Registered Member 03SNAKERUSH's Avatar

Densecharger Installation

Hey everyone, I have a question regarding the Densecharger installation I just did on Sunday. Obviously I'm aiming this Q & A to those who have this CAI system. The only way I could make this system fit into the fender well was to attach the provided 6 inch K & N filter onto the small straight pipe (that I was instucted to remove from the down non-flanged "L-piece") and run that through the fender into the cover plate and then attach the main meter piping( with the DENSECHARGER logo) onto that. You still with me? John put these instuctions in an addendum for all of us California emission system owners, but I don't see any other way this thing could go together My question(finally..) is did anyone else do this the same way? Since my K & N filter is mounted in the "up" position pointing straight out to the right hidden in the fender, I guess I'm o.k. Hope we don't pick up any water during a rainy travel.....Or a nosey cop who knows that the K & N filter provided is strictly for "off road use only" or marine applications.(printed right on the side of the box..)
    03 Black cobra coupe
    K&N FIPK
    Borla catback exhaust
    SS Bumper Inserts
    UPR Cobra Grille Emblem
    Factory Manual(a must..)
    Shorty Antenna

SVTOA Registered Member
    I still haven't made time to install mine. John told me to install with the pipe down. I will get back to you. I will have to look at the box, I didn't see the for off road use only. I tried to take the snake down a gravel road to my brothers' house and turned around after about 30 yards when I drug my exhaust for the first time. Needless to say I don't think this snake will spend much time off road! I will deal with smog in 5 years or so I guess.
    03 Dk. Shadow Grey cobra
    64 ranchero 351w 4spd.
    65 falcon 2dr.wagon six, but will be injected 5.0 roller motor some day

SVTOA Registered Member Elapidae's Avatar

Give em a call:

DeMolet Automotive/Motorsport Div.

tech hotline: 910-944-3663
    demoletmotorsport@yahoo.com
    03 MG Cobra Coupe

SVTOA Registered Member Intense's Avatar
    snakerush, i installed mine the same way. except that i installed mine in the down position. i would recommend the down position as well. hope this helps.
    2003 Torch Red Cobra Coupe
    1987 Mustang LX 5.0

I did mine the same as you 03SNAKERUSH and drove it all winter, no water probs. Don't think you need to worry about a cop peeling back your fender splash guard to get a look at your air filter, atleast I hope not.

-norcal_cobra

SVTOA Registered Member 03SNAKERUSH's Avatar

installation confirmation

Thanks for the responses everyone. I did speak with John at Densecharger today(03-12-03) at some length. He confirmed that I had installed the system correctly positioning the K & N in the "up" position(facing straight out to the right -inside the fender). During our conversation I mentioned how I had installed my Roush CAI kit exactly the same way on my 02 GT. He kind of laughed and informed me that prior to Roush ever having any kind of CAI kit on the market, they had purchased a CAI kit from him years ago-and lo and behold suddenly Roush starts offering CAI kits, with plastic ducting etc. Anyway, he also was very surprised that 5.0 in their shootout tests were able to fit the 9 inch K & N filter in the 03 Cobras fender well area. He is only offering the 6 inch filter with the Densecharger kit he's selling. I don't find much room in there with the coolant hoses, wiring harnesses and pump unit to install it any other way. Thanks again all!
    03 Black cobra coupe
    K&N FIPK
    Borla catback exhaust
    SS Bumper Inserts
    UPR Cobra Grille Emblem
    Factory Manual(a must..)
    Shorty Antenna

I just got done reading that 5.0 shootout and it looks like the DENSECHARGER is the way to go! But I really don't want to get into trouble with the California SMOG #^@%$@^!^%@#**& ROFLMAO!!!! Is there a SMOG legal CAI for California out there? Or is it just the K&N filter? K&N is located in RIverside CA. so you figure they would have one for California!!!!!! Oh well either way I'm seriously thinking about getting the DENSECHARGER
    2003 Black Cobra Coupe

I highly recommend the Densecharger. Functionally it is great. Lookswise, it is awesome!

-norcal_cobra
    2003 Red Fire Cobra coupe
    FRPP headers
    Bassani catted X-pipe
    Bassani cat-back
    Densecharger CAI
    Griggs subframes
    Pro-5.0 shifter